Keepin' It 100
The word feminist can be cringe-worthy for some people. In fact, some people view words like ‘Feminist’ and ‘Feminism’ as negative terms. Celebrities have a record of even trying to make sure they aren't even associated with the terms (looking at you Katy Perry). But why?
We seriously don't know how feminism got such a bad rep (we'll talk about this later), because all it really boils down to is the equality of women. And you'd think that'd be easy, right? LOL. Yeah, no. And it get's SO FRUSTRATING! Ugh.
We (Woke Brown Feminist) are focused on celebrating being feminists as well as shedding light on the everyday female experience. We want to challenge you to question everything you've been conditioned to know as the norm and open your mind to a new way of thinking.
A few things we're going to talk about, expand on and believe need some changing...
- Women's rights are human rights. Duh. Why are we not given the same opportunities as our male counterparts?
- A feminist can be anyone; woman, man, boy, girl, boy that identifies as a girl, girl that identifies as a boy... you get it.
- Promoting and supporting all women in all walks of life (we got your back!). Empowered women EMPOWER WOMEN! Best mantra everrrrrr.
- Double standards. For example, men are called leaders, affirmative and tenacious for speaking up; yet a woman speaks her mind and ‘bitch is crazy’.
- Slut shaming is never okay. If my nipples happen to pop out through my shirt and you happen to be looking at them, don't start calling me a slut for being a damn human being. That is your problem for sexualizing the natural state of my tits.
- We shouldn't have to fiddle with our keys, hold our purses so damn close and walk with our eyes looking around ourselves like the exorcist because every 98 seconds someone is being sexually assaulted. And can we please stop blaming the rape victim? If I were to walk down a street completely naked, I would still not be asking for it.
- There is no right or wrong way to be a lady. Don't tell me to shave or tell me not to cuss. Or I don't dress up enough, I don't wear make-up enough, I wear TOO much make-up. DAMN, Gina. Chill. You do you and I do me.
- AND A THOUSAND OTHER THINGS THAT WE CAN SAY BECAUSE IT IS THAT MUCH OF AN ISSUE, BUT WE'LL SAVE THOSE THINGS FOR LATER...
Phew! Ok. Now that we cleared the air, we hope that we're a good match and that you'll chill with us for a while, maybe learn something. Oh and maybe even buy something. Thanks, Byeee!